SVC on Twitter    SVC on Facebook    SVC on LinkedIn

Related Articles


Associations Focus: In the Pursuit of Knowledge

Jul 1, 2007 12:00 PM

InfoComm 07 attracts record numbers, CEDIA previews easy-to-use skill-building at Expo 2007, and NSCA offers high-level business knowledge.

   Follow us on Twitter    

InfoComm International


Photo Courtesy Bennett Liles


InfoComm International released pre-liminary figures showing record participation at InfoComm 07, its annual conference and exhibition for audiovisual buyers and sellers worldwide, held in Anaheim, Calif., June 19-21.

Reflecting strong demand for AV communications technologies in business, education, and government, as well as the retail, healthcare, entertainment, worship, and residential markets, attendance at the exhibition so far has topped 31,600. AV professionals from more than 80 countries attended to see the latest technologies in display, projection, audio, collaborative conferencing, control, and networking applications. This reflects an 18.4-percent increase over last year's record attendance.

A record 855 exhibitors participated at InfoComm this year, representing an 11-percent increase over the previous record of 770 in 2006. Exhibitors occupied 465,000 net square feet of exhibit and special events space, compared to 432,602 net square feet in 2006. There were 180 new exhibitors at this year's show.

“InfoComm 07 reflects the fast pace of innovations and growth in the AV communications industry,” says Randal A. Lemke, Ph.D., InfoComm International executive director. “We introduced new courses and exhibitors this year to address the demand for digital signage, audio, and collaborative conferencing technology, as well as high-definition products, digital content creation, and lighting and staging.”

InfoComm is attended by AV dealers, independent reps, design consultants, systems integrators, rental and staging companies, and AV buyers from business, government, education, healthcare, retail, entertainment, and the worship market. Approximately 70 percent of the attendees are commercially involved in the industry, with the remaining 30 percent comprising specifiers, buyers, and users.


Attendees also value InfoComm for its educational sessions. Registrations for InfoComm Academy educational courses totaled 8,601 for 2007, up more than 9 percent from 7,861 in 2006. The Institute of Professional Development (IPD) attracted 531 registrants, up from 404 in 2006 — a more than 31-percent increase. Super Monday, a full day of advanced instruction for AV pros, attracted 731 registrants in 2007. Attendees come to InfoComm for the diversity of courses on topics ranging from acoustics to videoconferencing. Among the most-attended courses were the classes focusing on AV best practices, AV/IT integration, technology trends, and project management. Other popular classes include Syn-Aud-Con's Sound Reinforcement for Designers and the new Imaging Science Foundation certification class.

InfoComm also offered its three-day Certification Prep course prior to the exhibition opening. This year, 65 individuals have earned their Certified Technology Specialist (CTS) credentials onsite so far. Nearly 7,000 AV professionals have earned the CTS designation.

Other highlights of InfoComm 07 include the release of the 2007 Market Definition and Strategy Study, which found that the audiovisual industry in North America has grown into a $25 billion industry, as well as the introduction of Extron Electronics' new HD InfoComm Projection Shoot-Out software.

Acceptable Use Policy
blog comments powered by Disqus

Browse Back Issues
  January 2015 Sound & Video Contractor Cover December 2014 Sound & Video Contractor Cover November 2014 Sound & Video Contractor Cover October 2014 Sound & Video Contractor Cover September 2014 Sound & Video Contractor Cover August 2014 Sound & Video Contractor Cover  
January 2015 December 2014 November 2014 October 2014 September 2014 August 2014