Yamaha IMX644 Mixer & IPA8200 Amp
Mar 29, 2011 11:08 AM, by John McJunkin
The IMX644 and IPA8200 are intended to compliment each other, presumably with the amp in bridged mode, offering four powerful channels to align with the mixer’s four outputs. Indeed, the amp has enough power to create plenty of SPL, and with the matrixing and DSP capacity of the mixer, this is the heart of a formidable system. As one would expect from Yamaha, the quality of the audio is very good—the DSP equalization and filtering sounds great, and the priority ducking works reliably. The front panel of the mixer is very straightforward, and frankly it wouldn’t be hard to train even a non-professional sufficiently to understand and operate it. Failing that, however, the system’s 16 presets further simplify the operation to the extent that it could almost be handled by a chimpanzee. And for more sophisticated control, the computer software grants detailed command of every parameter. The pricing is reasonable, considering the quality, power, and flexibility of the system, and it doesn’t take up a lot of real estate. If you have a need for a formidable mixer/amp combination for an installation, or even for either component individually, take a look at these.
John McJunkin is the principal of Avalon Podcasting in Chandler, Arizona. He has consulted in the development of studios and installations and provides high quality podcast production services.
- Company: Yamaha
- Pros: Solid, reliable Yamaha quality, great sound, straightforward operation.
- Cons: Software only available for Windows, unorthodox knob convention in GUI.
- Applications: Public address, paging, distributed sound, BGM.
- Price: IMX644 Mixer - $2,099, IPA8200 Amp - $2,199
- Sampling Frequency: 48kHz
- Signal Delay: <2.5ms
- Total Harmonic Distortion: <0.1%
- Frequency Response: 20Hz-20kHz
- Hum & Noise Level: EIN -120dBu
- Residual Output Noise: -82dBu
- Crosstalk: < -70dB
- Power Requirements: 100-240V 50/60Hz
- Power Consumption: 21W
- Dimensions (WHD): 18-7/8 x 3-7/16 x 14-7/16 inches
- Net Weight: 11.9lbs
- Output power (1kHz; THD+N=1%): 4 200Wx8 8 100Wx8; 8 Bridge 400Wx4 1kHz; 20ms Burst 4 200Wx8 8 400Wx4
- Voltage Gain RL=8Ω: +4dBu/26dB/32dB
- S/N ratio (20Hz-20kHz, DIN AUDIO): 100dB
- Power Consumption (1/8 Power 4Ω): 400W (Idle 70W)
- THD+N: 20Hz-20kHz, half power, RL=4 ≤0.1%
- Frequency Response: RL=8Ω, Po=1W 20Hz - 20kHz
- Channel Separation: ≤60dB
- Maximum Input Level: +24dBu
- Input Impedance: 20kΩ (balanced), 10kΩ (unbalanced)
- Power Requirement: U.S./Canada: 120V, 60Hz; Korea: 220V, 60Hz; China: 220V, 50Hz; Other: 220V-240V, 50/60Hz
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 18-7/8 x 3-7/16 x 16 inches
- Weight: 23.2 lbs
Acceptable Use Policy blog comments powered by Disqus